A FEW RULES IN THE 'MICHAEL JACKSON MONTHLY GIVING' PROJECT:-
(last updated 13.12.16)
If you stop your monthly payments or they fail for whatever reason and we cannot make contact, you will no longer qualify to vote. You will be removed from the voting group when the voting finishes for the most recent monthly pot you paid into. e.g. If you pay on the 1st of June and then payment fails on the 2nd June, you will be removed on the 1st of July, as you would be entitled to a June vote. If you are removed for any reason and a new donor comes on board, they will be given any spare donor number slots including your previous donor slot number, if you do not start your monthly donations again in time. If you come back and start a new monthly donation, you will receive a new donor number, which will be the next one that is available. When a PayPal payment profile ends, PayPal notify us. When we recieve this notification, we will remove from the voting group.
Monthly donors can vote on 3 charities each month. MJFFC decides on which 3 charities are chosen each month from our "Master List of Charities". You can view this list of charities and scoring system online. The charity with the most votes at the end of the month will get the total money donated for that month. The two runner-up charities get put back into our charity consideration list for a later date. Donors are able to suggest their preferred charities for us to look into. We will investigate each of the charities put forward to check their validaty, work out their "score" and we will then add them to the master list of charities. If there is a global event which requires an Emergency Donation (see below), the current voting will cease and a new set of 3 charities that are helping with things connected to the global event will be added. This could happen at any point during the month.
In order for the charity to make the shortlist, where possible, we use a scoring system that takes into account:
- their registration status, currently all charities considered are registered and checked in the country they are registered in. Due to the complexities of various countries charity regulations, we try and keep the shortlisted charities to be UK or US based as often as we can. We will be expanding to other countries as much as possible as we progress.
- the percentage that actually goes to the cause and not on admin & fundraising (it is important to note that sometimes it is better when a charity spends a lot on admin & fundraising, it's all about how far their cause goes, how much it impacts the world and how efficient they are at raising more money for their cause for each pound they spend - this is a trickier calculation but we are working on it!)
- any positive connection with MJ (such as children's charity or a charity Michael or his children have supported previously)
- any known reason that they do not wish to be associated with Michael (yes we have experienced this before. Wow.)
- extra consideration is given if it is an MJ fan cause for a registered charity, such as the "A Million Trees for Michael" initiative, where donations are direct to American Forests, but was started up by fans themselves.
- the charities main focus is also considered eg. Family, Animals, Children, Environment and Science & Arts (FACES). We try and choose charities from seperate areas of focus, to cover a variety of good causes.
In the event of a tie of votes, MJFFC's decision on the chosen charity will be final and will be based on the scoring system.
CHARITIES THAT WIN
Once a particular charity has won, they will not be added back to the voting list until further notice (this is in order to donate to as many different charities as possible). All charities in our list are always available for consideration again in the future.
Occasionally there may be a requirement to postpone the current months donation to the following month or stop it completely, to give to a "global emergency" appeal. For example, if we are on the 28th of the month and a "global emergeny" occurs, such as an Earthquake, flood, or similar, the voting for that month will stop and get carried over to the next month. This is so that, at the drop of a hat, we can contribute a donation as early as possible to an emergency situation. This is vary rare event to occur, but it can happen.
These rules are likely to change as and when we receive feedback from our donors, this section will be updated accordingly.